I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day on Sunday. The sky was a picture perfect blue, the sun was out and the temperature was just right with a gentle breeze caressing against my face. It was a perfect New York City day. Columbiagirl and Therapyboy met me at Penn Station and we then made the short walk over to the Tick Tock Diner in midtown for lunch and to do some serious catching up. Although Columbiagirl and Therapyboy have been living in the city for about two months, they are still adjusting to life in the big apple. More so with Columbiagirl. Therapyboy's practice is starting to grow; even after being in the city for almost two months he already has about 13 clients! But then again, I'm not surprised. Big city, high pressure, big problems. Living in a fast paced environment like NYC can result in mental health issues for some people. Nonetheless, I am truly happy for Therapyboy and am so proud of what he is accomplishing out there. So after lunch we took a short jaunt over to Bryant Park where we spent most of the afternoon sitting in one of the many green tables and chairs, chatting over Starbucks coffee, watching people, and just plain enjoying each another's company.
Although Therapyboy and Columbiagirl are older and have known them for only a few years, I hold this feeling of affinity towards them. They're not just "good friends", but more like family to me. A few years ago, when I started going to the church that I now am a member of, TB and CG reached out to me and became intentional about spending time with me. They're good like that - definitely a gift they possess as they've also reached out to others at our church. They definitely have that "friendship ministry" down pact. There was a time in my life where I started to spiral down into the depths of darkness, almost to the point of nothingness. TB and CG were there, supporting, listening, caring, not judging, praying, and loving me along the way. I know this might sound weird, but they were like Jesus to me at the time. No, I don't "idolize" them in that sense. What I see in the both of them are the characteristics and likeness of Christ. Are they perfect? Not at all. They have their weaknesses and dark sides and like everyone else, they're also "fallen beings". TB and CG, along with a few others, were key in my road to healing. And for that, I thank God for their love and friendship. I understand that their time in Philly was a "season" and as seasons move onto the next phase, TB and CG, too, had to move into the next phase into their lives. They couldn't have picked a better city. My favorite city. It gives me an even better excuse to drive or take the train out to the Big Apple. (And Bougie, I may even fit you in one of those visits as well because that's "how I is". Heh!)
Upon arriving back into Penn Station we discovered on one of the TV monitors that my train was literally boarding that minute. We run to the track and to my relief the train was still there. Quick hugs and kisses ensue, along with I'll miss you's, love you's, and call me soons. I hop onto the train with only a few seconds to spare before it starts to move. With bated breath, I sink into an empty seat, looking out the window as the faces and objects whizzed by, the train emerges from the tunnel and I catch a glimpse of the city's tall, erect buildings. The sun starts to set, I give a huge sigh of contentment, put on my headphones, close my eyes, and whisper softly to myself, "What a perfect day."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Good friends in one of the best things about being alive and I am glad you have such good friends.
I'm glad you had such a great time. I thought you were going to be gone longer than a couple days though, so I was surprised to see your comment on my blog. Welcome back.
spin_doc,
i'm glad too. good friends like these are hard to find. :)
nnm,
NYC is only about an hour and a half away from where i live and so spending the day there is nothing unusual for me. i'd love to live there someday.
Post a Comment