As I was taking off my contact lenses tonight, I noticed the redness in my right eye. Not good. A few weeks ago I had some type of infection in my left eye and my physician prescribed opthalmic drops called Tobramycin. Of course, being the good patient, I adhered to the good doctor's instructions and placed two drops in my left eye three times a day for about a week.
However, before I continue on with the story of my infected right eye, let me back-track to this past December. I was quite sick for most of December (pretty sure it was mono) and ended up with an ear infection. My physician, being the good doctor that she is, prescribed this nice sulfate and hydrocorticsone otic suspension with instructions to place a few drops in my right ear a few times a day. These ear drops are kept in a small dropper container, much like the size of the container that my eye drops are kept in. Interestingly enough, both the eye drops and ear drops are made by the same company, Bausch and Lomb, therefore each container has the infamous blue Bausch and Lomb logo splayed across the front.
Both the eye drops and the ear drops are kept in the medicine cabinet in the bathroom and being the "cautious" individual that I am, made sure they were on different shelves.
Do you all see where I am going with this?
So tonight as I was studying the redness in my right eye, I decided to place a few drops of the opthalmic solution that my doctor prescribed for me about two weeks ago for my left eye. Seeing that it was very similar to the irritation that I had a few weeks ago, I figured it wouldn't do too much harm to my right eye. I mean, it "cured" my left eye of the irritation, right? If anything, the drops should do the same for my right eye. In my blurry haste (contact lenses were off), I opened the medicine cabinet, grabbed the "eye drops", and then proceeded to place a drop in my right eye. A few seconds later I knew something wasn't right when my eye started to burn a little bit. This deep seated dread started to set in as I peered closely at the small bottle dropper I was holding onto: Sulfate and Hydrocortisone Otic Suspension.
I
USED
THE
FREAKIN'
EAR
DROPS.
And if that didn't make things worse, here is what's written in red, in very small print on the bottle - "For Use In The Ears Only".
I spent the next 10 minutes flushing out my right eye with cold water.
I am such a Dumb Ass.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
If it makes you feel any better I would have done the same only earlier.
Joy, you might want to check the source of the initial eye irritation. Isn't Bausch & Lomb the brand that they are recalling? Check with your eye doctor.
ROFL.....not that I want to laugh at the infirmity part of your story, but man can I relate....lol.
Post a Comment