Thursday, April 27, 2006

The Joy of Nastiness

When I go running along the waterfront by my place, there is usually a plethora of characters in which I have a privilege of observing as I run by them. Women and men attempting to fish along the toxic infested Delaware River (can we say two headed fishies?), cyclists, people walking their pets, fellow runners, your token drug dealer (what can I say? I live in the city!), and of course the odd couple making out along the way. So essentially, I've seen all types of characters. Oh, did I forget to mention about the teenage couple I discovered having sex on one of the benches along the waterfront during one of my early morning runs? Welcome to Camden's lovely waterfront. It really is a lovely waterfront - when there aren't nasty individuals selling their "pharmaceuticals" or teenagers copulating like there is no tomorrow.

And so, with this given privilege (trust me, it truly is a privilege) to observe all these activities along the Camden waterfront, nothing could have prepared me for what I bore witness to this afternoon. As I was running by a middle-aged man sprawled across one of the benches facing the Delaware River, I noticed that he was picking his nose. No big deal, right? I mean, EVERYONE picks their noses. Some do it in public and some like "digging for gold" in private. But nevertheless, we all do it. (And don't YOU even deny it.) But here is what I found totally abominable: this middle-aged man picked his nose and ate his booger.

HE

ATE

HIS

FREAKIN'


BOOGER.

And do you know what really got to me? This man was absolutely shameless about it.

Now I feel like I need to wash my hands and face, brush my teeth, and rinse out my mouth with Listerine.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's gross!!! yuck!!! oh, goodness...

Michelle said...

EEW!!! YUCK! I once worked with this guy that picked his nose and ate it right at the lunch table.

Justin said...

Between this and the urine-based mud pies, I'm starting to think my stomach isn't strong enough to read your blog anymore. :-P

Joy said...

justin, suck it up and be a man!

pia,
that's reaction i was looking for! ;)

nnm,
now that is disgusting! did anyone ever call him on this grossity?

Michelle said...

No, we just laughed behind his back. He's also used his contructin pencil to stir his coffee after he used it to itch the inside of his ear.

Larissa said...

i will never again read your blog while eating my lunch. i think i'm going to throw up...

clew said...

I cant believe naive didnt mention this ... last time i was visiting her, we were watching this guy pick his nose while we were sitting in traffic, and he ate it. We about died!

LOL!!! It still freaks me out.