Friday, April 14, 2006

Maundy-Thursday

I had a couple of glasses of merlot this evening and so this post may deem to be somewhat incoherent. If it is, then forgive my rambling.

Irishgirl was sitting in the living room watching me hum and haw over what to do this evening.
Feeling a bit restless and somewhat dispirited, I knew that I needed to get out of the house, even if it was only for an hour. Ideas were thrown out - PJ's, Rittenhouse Square, Haddonfield, Fairmont, Barnes and Noble, Indy movie at the Ritz, etc... and the list went on. It was turning out into an evening of indecisiveness. Irishgirl decided to go for a run while I decided to hole myself up in my room to start a new book until we came to a decision on what to do.

About an hour and a half later we were back in the living room, still undecided on what to do. Feeling somewhat pathetic and a little hormonal due to a little monthy visitor, I ended up bursting into tears. Of course for other reasons apart from the fact that we were being so indecisive. Other topics were somehow intertwined within our discussion on what to do this evening, but I won't bore you all with the gory details. Once Irishgirl saw the effusive flow of tears, she decided that it was time for Cold Stone and a wine run at the local "alcohol" store (as I affectionately like to call it).

We satiated ourselves tonight with "sinless" sugar free, sweet cream, ice cream mixed with some fudge and strawberries. It was heavenly. At home we decided to pop in a Bollywood DVD, Bride and Prejudice, and spent most of the evening wetting ourselves with laughter over the cheesy Bhangra dance and music, while attempting to converse with each other in a very poor imitation of the English/Indian accent. God, I love this movie. The story of Pride and Prejudice is my absolute favorite classic. I can't even count how many times I've read the book and watched the A&E version of it - HELLO COLIN FIRTH.

Today is Maundy-Thursday, the day on which Jesus celebrated the Passover with his disciples, sharing a meal with them which we call the Last Supper. As I reflect over how this evening was spent, it appears as though it was spent in drunken revelry - which is obviously contrary to what the Passover is all about. However, with some of the readings that I've done on Maundy-Thursday, the word "Maundy" comes from the Latin for 'command' (mandatum). It refers to the command given by Jesus at the Last Supper, that his disciples should love one another. In the midst of my emotional meltdown this evening, my dear, dear, roomate and friend, Irishgirl, showed love as she spoke in truth and edified my waning soul. I realize at this point that we did not have attend a Maundy-Thursday church service tonight because in this almost twisted way, we were having our own rendition of a Maundy-Thursday service. Like Jesus washing the disciple's feet in humility and service before that Last Supper, Irishgirl "washed my feet" through her words of encouragement and the laughter we shared. It was this crazy, insane, North Camden almost Philly fellowship type of way. There will never be anything else like it.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Interesting write up Joy. However, if I had been there, you'd have that nose piercing today. :)

steve said...

HAppy Easter Joy!!