Thursday, March 23, 2006

This Is What You Shall Do......

My creative juices aren't flowing right now and so I'll be using someone else's: Walt Whitman. I love this piece written by Whitman because it embodies how I want to live my life.

this is what you shall do: love the earth and
sun, and the animals, despise riches, give alms
to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid
and crazy, devote your income and labor to
others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning god,
have patience and indulgence toward the people,
take off your hat to nothing known or unknown
or to any man or number of men, go freely with
powerful uneducated persons and with the young
and with the mothers of families, read these
leaves in the open air every season of every
year of your life, re-examine all you have been
told at school or church or in any book,
dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and
your very flesh shall be a great poem. . .
-walt whitman

7 comments:

Smerdyakov said...

"devote your income and labor to
others"

Umm, my car needs washed and I need a few bucks to get a haircut. Is there some form I have to fill out to get some of your income/labor or do I just schedule an appointment?

Jenn said...

Woo....neat!

I'm currently reading Walt Whitman for class!

Joy said...

ac,
i'll give you a form.....and you can stick it up where the sun don't shine.

jenn,
very cool! the walt whitman center is a few blocks away from here. :)

Smerdyakov said...

Old Walt might have said the same thing to me ... but he might have offered to help.

Joy said...

that's because 'ole walt was "batting for the other team".......if you know what i mean.

Smerdyakov said...

Now you're confusing me. When did we start talking about baseball?

Joy said...

Since you started stalking my site.