In tribute to one of Joy's favorite themes, I want to offer up a road trip story of my own. So I searched my memory bank for something appropriate (Joy's blog is a little more family-friendly than my own so I had to filter out 97% of my road trip stories). Finally I remembered one that was G-rated. OK maybe PG, PG-13 at worst.
My very first family-free road trip involved a won bet, older friends, an amusement park, a case of Mickeys Big Mouths and a comely group of West Virginian lovelies.
My sophomore year most of my friends were a little older - juniors, seniors and recent graduates. We played cards every Tuesday and stakes were known to get a little on the high end (relatively speaking). We started playing one night to kill time before we went to sleep out to get Pink Floyd concert tickets. Things started out really really bad for me - I went from a full wallet down to my ticket money + one lousy dollar. That's right - one stinkin' dollar. I sat out the next few hands figuring it's just not my night. But then I figured if I'm going to go bust, then I'm going bust and threw in my dollar (the buy-in for one hand). I won that hand. Then the next. Then the next. And so on and so on and so on. Next thing you know I was up seventy five bucks. I was cleaning out everyone. IOU's started flying until it was down to me and one other guy. He was busted but threw a bigun out on the table - he bet a weekend road trip to a nameless amusement park against my $50 bucks.
I was in. And I won.
Two weeks later we load up his car and enough beer to kill a pack of Clydedale's. Several hours later we're at a dirty Motel 6 and hanging out at the pool.
Enter four WV female road trippers. Conversations are struck up, jokes are told, charm is poured on. Things were going well.
Then they left.
I was crushed. I was heartbroken. I went to bed.
Well, not exactly to bed. We went back to the room and drank some Mickeys. I watched my buddy Keo throw up then pass out. I watched my buddy Bax cry over loves lost. I watched my buddy Demmy shave his head.
Then I went to bed.
Then the phone rang - it was the lovely ladies asking me to come to their room. By the time they hung up their phone I had ran down 3 flights of steps, through the courtyard and was knocking on their door. I was ready for a legendary evening, huffing and puffing.
Then I was shot down.
They needed someone to get rid of their own beer. Their aunt was meeting them in the morning so they didn't want to be caught with the alcohol in their room.
Crushed. Denied. Again.
But we did hang out for a bit and I was gone for about an hour and a half - long enough for my friends to high five me when I got back to the room. Of course I didn't kiss and tell - which only caused their imaginations to kick into overdrive.
This has gone on way longer than planned so I'll summarize the rest - we hung out the next day at the amusement park and exchanged numbers. Long distance thing didn't last.
The end.
And with this, I'll sign off for the day. Thanks to Joy for the opportunity to corrupt her little corner of the blogiverse.
Sunday, March 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Sounds like an awesome trip!
Ha! Isn't that how so many stories end? "Long distance thing didn't last." Yeah.
Actually mine usually end with - "but the authorities didn't have enough evidence for a conviction".
OMG! This wasn't at a little motel near Cedar Point in 1986 was it?
No, but I'd like to hear about your '86 Cedar Point story.
OMG! Now I'm freaking out...I'm from WV...and I took road trips with my friends...OH crap! Do...I know you?
I thought the back of your head looked familiar.
Post a Comment