Thumbing through Joy's blog, I discovered that Joy went to Philly with a friend for the exhibit, Full View: American Painting and Sculpture.
And it's a mere coincidence that I'm the guest blogger for today, and I'm a painter.
This past weekend I received various art magazines in the mail regarding the application of paint, the history, and even how/where to market your work. These magazines were sent to me from my mom, who is also a painter.
As I was on the train, venturing into Manhattan, I read the magazines. But as I flipped through the pages, a few loose pages fell out and onto the floor by my feet. The train was crowded with children and their parents all out (I assume) to enjoy the great weather we were blessed with.
When I bent down to pick up the loose pages that fell, my face became heated with embarrassment. I looked at the people around me -- they all stared-- they all had full view. On several pages were contemporary American erotica drawings. Most of which had women, obese, with gigantic, erect penis penetrating through their stomachs and through their back. And, missile-like yet angelic-like, the base of the penis had wings.
About five of these drawings were at my feet, as I casually picked them up, folded them, placed them in the magazine, pretending not to be distraught. I put the magazine in my bag, closed my eyes and awaited my stop.
Monday, March 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Don't worry too much about. I think I remember reading that's precisely how a nine yr old Robert Mapplethorpe was first exposed to modern art.
Still, I'd like to have seen you squirm a bit.
I'm Sure you would have since it takes a lot to make me squirm. LOL
Stephen.....I was in NYC the other day with BFF. THAT WAS YOU???? Perv! ;)
Post a Comment