I am a bona-fide news junkie. Tonight as I was reading through my current issue of Newsweek, I ran into this quote by Mayor Ray Nagin on rebuilding New Orleans.
"This city will be a majority African-American city. It's the way God wants it to be... This city will be chocolate at the end of the day."
First of all, how the hell was this guy elected as mayor? And secondly, are you kidding me? Sure, New Orleans' racial makeup is predominantly African American, granted, I myself live in a neighborhood that is predominantly Latino and African American. However, I am disgusted by Nagin's statement and the underlying message that it conveys. My initial interpretation of Nagin's statement was this: "Black people only. Other races, stay out." I loathe racism and it is so sad to see a country as progressive as the USA continue to struggle with this cancer.
It turns out, at the end of the day, Nagin apologized and said that people of ALL races were welcome to return.
Gee, we should all feel so privileged.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

15 comments:
In fairness to him, he's an idiot. But I still understand the message he was trying to communicate.
With tens of billions of dollars about to flow into the area, New Orleans is about to have the hottest real estate market in the country. It's about to become the Las Vegas-ized version of what it used to be. That's a good thing and that's a bad thing. New Orleans is predominantly black and that's played a big part of it's culture. When the developers come in, some of that culture will be washed away forever.
So I think Nagin, as stupid and clumsy as he is, was just trying to communicate that there will always be a place in New Orleans for the culture that has sistained it for so long. You see in places like Aspen & San Francisco where where the people who once gave those cities so much character are now priced out of living there. That's really a shame.
sustained - damn these huge unwieldy fingers!
he found you're blog "inquisitive"?
Hmm... I didn't interpret your blog as having many, if any questions, but maybe the penny stock investment dude is better at interpretting your subtle "inquisitivities".
Joy, I have so much to learn from you. :)
BTW, this is the same guy that slammed my Coast Guard for not responding quick enough! For heaven's sake, New Orleans and Mobile units are decimated and Clearwater has only three helo crews to respond in an area that size.
Insult the army corps of engineers all you want, but don't you go blaming the protectors and guardians of our coasts just to give yourself ammunition for your irrelevant agenda.
It's not the federal government's fault you didn't evacuate when you had the chance!
Whew! Sorry, but you got me all riled up. :)
what is wrong with people....?
Yeah.. that article irked me too. Glad to know that im not the only one addicted to the latest breaking news!
ac, damn those huge fingers! ;)
zach, i'll show HIM inquisitive. his curiosity has earned his comment a nice deletion from me. :D
bougie, question is, what's wrong with this world?
nunzia, if i had a choice i would listen to npr all day. pretty sad huh? good to see you here, btw. :)
Joy, you'd get along with my husband just fine. He's a news junkie. Me, I'd rather not watch. I usually just get upset.
What upsets me about this statement is that if a white mayor had made an equally stupid statement, he's be in the media gallows by now.
I don't mean to hijack this blog, but I was wondering how to say "bougie" and what it meant? Seriously... it's bugging me. Thanks.
*GASP* How DARE you hijack this blog coastie! ;)
Well, according to dictionary.com, bougie technically means: "A slender, flexible, cylindrical instrument that is inserted into a bodily canal, such as the urethra, to dilate, examine, or medicate." So basically, a suppository. :D
However, *bougie* in Stephen's case, I believe would be short for "bourgeoisie". Am I correct bougie boy? Or shall we call you Suppository Boy? LOL! :D
yes, what happened in new orleans was a tragedy and people have done what they can to help the citizens along the coast that were affected by the hurricanes that ripped through back in the fall but in all honesty, it's going to take a long, long, long time to clean up. that's a lot of stuff down there they have to get rid of... that and the fact that new orleans was practically under water to begin with. the news casters seem to forget that it wasn't just new orleans that was hit by the hurricanes.
I agree with you Joy. It's funny how only whites are flagged racist when they make statements like this.
Makes me sad ...
(I'm posting this separately because it just seemd like it should be) ... Suppository Boy!!! I love it!!!
People can say the stupidest things at times and not realize haw it will be interpreted.
Thanks for the explanation Joy! I need to find a way to use it in a sentence today so that I remember it. :)
After further investigation... it is actually more like a canula, or catheter than a suppository. Just FYI. ;)
Post a Comment