Wednesday, January 18, 2006

I EMBARRASS MYSELF

My roommates and I have this weekly rotation of household chores and this week I'm on trash duty. Lovely. So tonight as I was taking the trash out, I made the biggest fool out of myself in front of our new neighbor who is of the male persuasion. And of course, I was looking so hot in my ratty old J. Crew sweatshirt and a pair of white shrunken jersey pants that I bought at a Phillies baseball game this past fall. So picture me in my little "hot" get up, clinging onto two full trash bags with both hands, walking towards the little alcove on the side of our house where we keep the trash cans. I see new neighbor boy next door trying to unlock his door look up and so of course I decided to be neighborly. I smiled at him and was about to say "How's it going?" when unbeknownst to me, one of the trash lids had flown off the trash can during the wind storm last night and was on the ground right in front of me. So in the midst of my attempt of friendly flirtation (is there such thing?) I tripped over this stupid lid, with arms flailing, nearly falling flat on my face.

New neighbor boy saw the WHOLE ENTIRE THING!

I

WAS

MORTIFIED.

At this point I knew there was no way I could salvage my dignity and so I quickly stuffed the trash, tried to buy some time by placing the lid on the trash can, praying that new neighbor was already inside his house. After all that, I nonchalantly walked out of the alcove and of course, just as luck would have it, neighbor boy was STILL standing on his porch, in front of his door, looking over at me with this amused look on his face. And so with that, I beelined it towards our front door. I can only imagine what new neighbor boy was thinking. I ran upstairs, burst into Iowagirl's bedroom and relayed to her what transpired outside. I was laughing so hard that I could hardly breath. Iowagirl's response? "You're so embarrassing." And you know what? She's right.

Sometimes I can be so embarrassing that I don't even know what to do with myself.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i didn't mean to laugh but i did, i'm sorry. i have those moments too. don't worry, you're not alone. i, too, make a fool out of myself sometimes. hehe...

Smerdyakov said...

I'm sure neighbor boy was in awe of your grace and composure.

Abreu, Jorge said...

If anything that there, though embarrassing would've gotten you some plus points in my book. A good laugh and something funny to talk about. If ya'll do talk. Hey, it happens to guys all the time where we're caught looking, get shaken a bit cuz we know we're caught then either trip or just make plain old fools of ourselves trying to rebound.

Abreu, Jorge said...

I'm sure if anything I'm sure he thought, you looked cute anyway.

Jenn said...

I'm sure he was thinking, "Wow, she's really nice. She'll go out of her way even to the point of tripping on things to be courteous to me. She's cool!" :D

Joy said...

curious1, you are too sweet!

lol Jen!! :D

ac, i'm sure he was. now i can look foward to those awkward moments when i run into him outside. ;)

Michelle said...

It was an embarassing incident no doubt, but certainly "you" are not embarassing. I bet neighbor boy was amused at worst. Aw, it'll give you something to talk about next time. :)

Bougie Black Boy said...

wow. crazy story... yeah, i'm trying to just get over my embarrassment nowadays. I'm too old to care what others think. BUT--then again, the older I get, the more prone I am to seriously make a fool of myself.

Heather Jane said...

Oh, Joy!
* sigh.

Don't you know that the next step is to pull a fancy Ginger Rogers move in order to salvage any dignity that is left and to pull it off as if you MEANT To trip over the trash can lid?
Get it right next time. Tell him you are practicing for dance class - and that you could use some help if he is willing *wink wink*.
*sigh**rolls eyes at Joy*

Heather xoxo