Monday, September 18, 2006

Welcome To Camden

It was a fairly tiring afternoon, what with having to battle traffic on Broad Street in Philly and trying to make it for my doctor's appointment in Jersey this afternoon. Thank God for back roads with no traffic lights. I made it to my appoinment with 5 minutes to spare. Nonetheless, I did my thing at the doctor's office, (clean bill of health!) and then proceeded home. It was a beautiful east coast afternoon/early evening with not a cloud in the sky and the sun radiating its warmth on the earth. As tired as I was, I decided that I was going to make myself go on a post-work run along the water front. I changed into my running gear, but I tell ya, it was like pulling teeth trying to haul my ass out the door. After about a half hour of debating with myself, between the merits of running this evening or early tomorrow morning, I finally decided to just get it over and done with and headed out the door. Yes, I am proud.

My usual running route takes me alongside the Ben Franklin Bridge, which leads toward the Camden waterfront. I usually run the whole length of the promenade and back to my place, which is approximately 3.5 miles. Inspite of my earlier reluctance to go on this particular run due to sheer laziness, after about 10 minutes I was really starting to get into the groove my run. Picture this: beautiful warm day, great view of the Philly skyline, nice breeze coming from the Delaware River, etc... I was in my running element, until I turned my head over towards the almost empty parking lot facing the waterfront, only to bear witness to a full view of a young couple having sex in their vehicle. I will not go into any gory details of what I saw, but I am absolutely certain of what they were doing in the vehicle.

WELCOME TO FREAKIN' CAMDEN!

I understand that there are some people out there with various freaky types of fetishes especially when it comes to sex. What people do behind their bedroom door is their business, not mine. But I mean, come on now! If you were seriously THAT desperate to satiate your urges, does it have to be in a very public place where people, especially young children, frequent? If you can't do it at home because you still live with the parents, then go rent a room! If you don't have the money to rent a room, then go somewhere deep in the forest where you can satisfy your animalistic instincts. And if you don't have quick access to the woods, then there's always a parking garage where you will at least have a semblance of privacy - for a minimal fee of say $5.00 or so, give or take a few bucks.

So I continue my run, with of course, this mental image of this couple in my head, only because I am so riled up about it. Running for another five minutes, I look down and what do I see? A used condom.

Is nothing sacred anymore???

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

J, that is so nasty!
Here's another one for ya--five years ago, in our UC house, I came home, walked in the dining room, looked out the window and saw a PGW guy getting blown by a prostitute. I opened the window and told them I was calling the cops. The guy stood outside my gate for a minute (I guess trying to scare me?) then left.
Oh, the joys of city life.

nosthegametoo said...

In full-view of the public?

I have a feeling they could have found an alternative location for their romantic rendezvous.

Spin_Doc1 said...

That is so funny! I would have laughed and laughed. Well it has never happened to me, but I can see myself being very amused.

Joy said...

Amy,
Tell me about it. Like you, I would have stared back at him, plus written down his PGW truck license plate! It's sick to think that our taxes are actually going to pay for these guys' salaries. That's Philly for ya.
J.

nosthegametoo,
yes, in all their glory. and to be honest, you didn't really miss out on much. :D

spinner,
you have a better sense of humor than i do. although, if i witnessed this with a friend, we probably would have been disgusted at first and then laughed about it later. :D

Bougie Black Boy said...

great write-up. . i've not experienced this yet! I'm suprised, too--living in nyc!

Michelle said...

You always see the weirdest stuff when you go for a walk or run. I have a solution - stop excersizing. I know, so supportive. :/