Wednesday, May 24, 2006

IOWAGIRL

Driving over the Ben Franklin Bridge into Jersey after work earlier this evening, my cell phone rings. It's my roommate IowaGirl. She was supposed to be at the Philly airport, ready to board her plane that would fly her out to Des Moines, Iowa.

IowaGirl: So, what are you doing right now?

Me: Driving over the Ben Franklin bridge.

IowaGirl: S&%#!!!

Me: What's wrong?

IowaGirl: My flight got cancelled beause of some stupid storm in Chicago. That's where my layover is and apparently there aren't any planes leaving or landing at O'Hare.

Me: Well that's kind of a bitch.

IowaGirl: So, you're not really too busy are ya?

Me: I'll turn around and pick you up.

So at the foot of the Ben Franklin bridge, I turned the car around, crossed the tolls (yep, paid $3.00 to get into Philly - yet again today), and got on the 95 towards Philadlephia International Airport to pick up IowaGirl. Driving down the 95, I had a few thoughts going through my head and this gnawing feeling in the pitt of my stomach. There are days when IowaGirl and I have this weird cosmic telepathic connection and today it seemed to be in full force, because before I even arrived at the airport I knew that I would somehow end up driving her back to the airport tomorrow morning. No, IowaGirl did not inform me that her flight was rescheduled for tomorrow morning. This was soley based on my own assumptions. I arrive at the AmericanAirlines terminal and find IowaGirl dragging her luggage towards my car.

Iowagirl: Thanks, I owe you big time. I guess that means I get to join you guys for happy hour at PJ's after all.

Me: Yup. So, what time's your flight tomorrow morning? (I figured it was better to cut to the chase, rather than beating around the bush, right?)

Iowagirl: *Turns to me with huge grin on her face*

Me: Dammit. I sooooo knew it!!!

Iowagirl: *Laughter ensues* You knew that by picking me up, you would get stuck with the job tomorrow. It was a given.

Me: Girl, you owe me big time.

Iowagirl: Well, my flight leaves at 7:45 AM and so I should be at the airport at around 6:45AM. We could leave the house at around 6:30AM. *Gives me sheepish grin*

Me: *Sighs* I guess I'll just go straight to the office afterwards. It shouldn't be that bad.

Iowagirl: *Has huge cheesy grin pasted on her face*

I am such a sucker. On a positive note, this sucker got dinner paid for by IowaGirl at PJ's tonight.

It wasn't until later on in the evening that it hit me - I have to get up at 5 AM tomorrow in order to get ready for work and drive IowaGirl to the airport.

I really am sucker.

No comments: