Friday, May 12, 2006

HockeyManWannaBee and The Jamaican Jerk

I sit next to this guy at work, HockeyManWannaBee, who is also a fellow Canuck. Actually, he's got dual citizenship and so he can legally work and live in either the US or Canada without the rigamarole of annoying visa papers. The lucky bastard. We became pretty good friends at the office, bantering back and forth, with our quick-witted quips. It was always an interesting time when we were both at the office as we kept the others amused by our verbal sparring. Our penchant for the NHL and Canadian chocolate, along with our "enthusiasm" for orgami is what sealed the friendship. Working in the type of job that I'm in, and seeing the depravity of human beings on an almost daily basis, coming back to the office and having a good laugh with HockeyManWannaBee was always a good reprieve from a stressful visit with a family or an ugly court hearing. Unfortunately that all came to an end today as it was HockeyManWannaBee's last day with our agency. He took another job with a different company/agency, doing social work in a more different capacity, working with individuals and families in the military. It's a great fit for him as he is a former marine and is passionate about the US military.

So in lieu of his last day and of course to celebrate his new job, a group of us went to this gem of a place call the Jamaican Jerk Hut, located on a nondescript South Street block in Philly. If this place wasn't featured in that movie, "In Her Shoes", I probably would have never heard of this place. Or else, I would have driven pass by it without a thought. Peering through the front windows of the the Jamaican Jerk Hut, one would find two or three tables and a take out counter with the kitchen in the back. By the first look of The Jamaican Jerk Hut, one would not even DREAM of taking someone on their first date to this restaurant. But alas, the old adage, "never judge a book by its cover", is never more closer to the truth. Why? Because if you walk around back to the veranda, there is outdoor dining - a grass hut with wooden yard furniture. The setting, next to the vegetable garden, sweeping lilac trees, with reggae playing in the background, would make anyone feel for a moment that they were in Jamaica. Oh did I mention that the food was great? The spicy jerk chicken was just that. Spicy and jerky. Like most small, independently owned restaurants in Philly, the great thing about this place is that it is BYOB. And we all know that BYOB is a wonderful concept because it will not cost you an arm and a leg to order a glass of wine or a margarita. I would probably recommend mixing a little rum with their homemade fruit drinks. :D

Who woulda thought that this little oasis, nestled in the middle of south Philly would serve for a memorable evening filled with much laughter? Good Times.

One of these days I will go back to The Jamaican Jerk Hut and I know just the person whom I would like to bring.

3 comments:

Spin_Doc1 said...

Joy,

Oh I am sorry you are losing your BAW, it is so hard to find a new one! I am looking for one now.

Joy said...

Alright ladies, I think I may be missing something, but I have no idea what BAW stands for. Care to enlighten me? :)

Joy said...

itj,
i read that exact post last night in spinner's blog and figured it out. thanks for clarifying. :)