Wednesday, December 7, 2005

NPR Nerd

It's late and I had a veeeery long day. Suffice it to say, this post is going to be short. Since my mind is a bowl of mush I probably won't make much sense or sound to eloquent.

Spent most of the day driving to and from Reading, PA, on the PA turnpike, on the 95, etc...you name it, I was there. I am literally sick and tired of driving all over the city and all over the state. Thus is the life of a social worker. On the bright side, however, I was driving the agency car, which boasts a decent stereo system in it. The one in my car was ripped off and I've been too cheap to replace it. Ghetto car. Since the agency car had a stereo system in it, I was able to listen to my favorite station, which I have been deprived from enjoying these past few months: NPR, National Public Radio. I WAS IN NPR HEAVEN ALL DAY TODAY!! Yeah I know, I'm a news geek. I actually enjoy listening to NPR's shows like Radio Times where they discuss the most obscure topics and interview people named Oliver Smoot, who is famously connected to the Harvard Bridge that connects Boston and Cambridge. Smoot's MIT fraternity devised the idea of marking off the bridge in pledge lengths and decided to use Smoot's 5'7 height plus one ear, to measure out the bridge. Smoot's frat brothers literally carried him from one point of the bridge to the other in order to determine how many "Smoots" covered the bridge. And thus instigated a longstanding Boston tradition with that particular Fraternity, marking off the bridge in "Smoot" lengths. These markings have apparently helped millions of area residents and tourists measure their progress along the bridge as they walk or bike to their destination. So one might ask, "How long is the Harvard bridge in Smoots?" Answer: 364.4 Smoots plus 1 ear.

MIT math geeks.

Come to think of it, I am probably the even bigger geek for posting this. I need to get a life.

Time for bed.

3 comments:

steve said...

NPR GEEEK!! NPR GEEEEEEK!!!

HA hA!!! I love it!! Never be TOO proud to admit the good stuff Sister!! May God bless you tremendously.

Thanks for all the kind words on my site. I seriously cant express enough how much I have needed them through the process of writing my book. Thank you!

Smerdyakov said...

A possible solution to your ghetto radio problem might be XM radio. XM2Go is a portable cell-phone sized receiver with a built in FM transmitter that you can take in and out of your car or use at home. It has several commercial-free news channels to satisfy your inner-geek. You can also sav up to 5 hours of programming on it's internal memory.
Mine ran about 150 bucks but I love it.

Joy said...

Steve,
You calling me an NPR geek? NPR Geek?? Harumph! Well, you're.....you're....you're a MUSIC GEEK!! LOL! Alright, I admit it, I'm a bona-fide news radio geek. BTW, thanks for being a part of my site and for YOUR encouraging words! :)

anonymous coward,
XM radio huh? VERY COOL! I may have to look into it. Thanks for the tip! And btw, welcome to my blogworld! God Bless you! :)