Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Eros

"To love at all is to vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entangle ments; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in the casket - safe, dark, motionless, airless - it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. The only place outside heave where you can be perfectly safe from the dangers of love.....is hell."

C.S. Lewis

And so I quote from C.S. Lewis's "The Four Loves". I read this book years ago and enjoyed it greatly. I mean, how could one NOT enjoy reading Lewis? This book focuses on the four types of human love: storge, philia, eros, and agape - otherwise known as affection, friendship, erotic/romantic, and the love of God. This particular quote has always unsettled me. Why? Because of the four described loves, I am comfortable with three of them: affection, friendship, and God's love. However, I find myself pretty disconcerted with the fourth one. Why? I have my reasons and I would rather not get into the boring, yet almost gory, details. I suppose hurtful experiences with romantic love will do that to an individual though. At least that's what it's done for me. Now, I'm afraid that I've become a cynic with "romantic/erotic" love. It's sad, really. I wish it wasn't this way for me. But it's like how Lewis described it to be, this impenetrable and unbreakable place feels so safe. Perhaps I am destined to remain in this safety box of hell. Or else, maybe, just maybe, I will meet someone who is willing to stay long enough to penetrate through my walls.

7 comments:

Smerdyakov said...

Ahhh yes, the warm and comforting feeling of lonely desolation. I think Lewis does a great job of summing up the foolhardy risks associated with not allowing yourself be hurt, burned, dumped, used, abused, or heartbroken. A paradox almost.

Joy said...

Muzik,
I appreciate your thoughts. However, to be told that I would need to know agape almost gives me this impression that I would have to master it. In my heart I know what agape love is all about - Rom. 8:35-39, 1 John 3:1,and I suppose the list could go on. I know that God lavishes His love on me and it's a wonder, seeing what a wretched being I am. Just tryin' to keep it real here.
Keep talkin' big brother, you're being heard. :)

ac,
yes, lewis does have a way with words. funny you say that it's almost paradoxical. if you look under my blog title, you'll discover that i can be a contradiction, at times. welcome to my world. ;)

Bill said...

Love is definately painful at times. And to be made vulnerable is so uncomfortable most of the time. But I would encourgage you that the :joy" (No pun intended) that love brings is far better than the pain it can cause. So let me encourage you to love and love and love some more.

Nunzia said...

Ahh... I love coming across other Lewis lovers on the blogosphere :)

Joy said...

First of all, to the newcomers...... welcome to my little space in blogworld!

Second of all, bill scott sr., thanks for always being so encouraging. You're awesome! :)

Bill said...

You are very welcome!

:)

Jeanna said...

I just read this exact quote from C.S. Lewis in another book yesterday...guess that probably means I should really think about what it said...

Great blog by the way!