Friday, December 2, 2005

I am an Orphan......

....a geographical orphan, that is. I have parents, who are obviously still living, a younger brother, and a whole slew of relatives who almost measure up to the family from that movie, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, although a somewhat less exaggerated version of it. With that said, I am still a geographical orphan. I understand that it sounds a bit odd, but it's true. Reason being is that five years ago, I decided to venture out on my own and move thousands of miles away from the west coast all the way out to the other coast. I left my parents, my brother, and my whole slew of relatives and good friends, individuals who were closest and dear to my heart, to start a new life in the east coast. The adjustment of course was difficult, how could it not be, especially after leaving a strong and supportive network of family and friends? But gradually, over time, the pain rescinded and thus began the restoration of what I thought I had lost. See, God "called me" to move out to the east coast, to minister to some of the poorest of the poor, and in the course of time, He saw fit to place individuals across my path who have become my "family". What's remarkable is that these individuals, whom I have grown to love and care for, are also geographical orphans. We are a hodgepodge of people, from different parts of the country and the world, brought together for similar purposes. We are Geographical Orphans who created community and now call each other family.

5 comments:

Bougie Black Boy said...

You're a brilliant writer. Thanks for visiting my blog. Let's definitely make ourselves regulars to each other.

Joy said...

Wow! Thank you for the compliment, albeit somewhat undeserved (aren't we always our own worst critic?). I am pretty flattered, especially coming from someone who works in the publishing/editing business. Definitely, we need to be regulars to each other's blogs! :)

Bill said...

Joy,

I can totally relate. Most of my family has moved east…Tennessee. I was then called North. I was called to Portland Oregon and I have been here for about 8 months or so. At times it’s been lonely and fearful especially bringing my wife and kids along for this ride of faith. It was all faith for me to move out here and the fruit of me obeying the Lord is so incredible as He makes Himself real to me and reveals Himself to me in ways that I never dreamed He would do.

I want to encourage you to continue on this road that the Lord has you on. Don’t ever look back. Thank you for this blog; it’s nice to know that other people can relate to the same things that I have had to deal with.

Abreu, Jorge said...

This is an interesting post... Really dig your courage. Best of luck to you on your walks of life.

Joy said...

Bill,
It's good to know that there are other "geographical orphans" out there who can relate. As much as I love living in the east coast, I often wonder if my trajectory will change its course back to the beauty of the west coast. Ahh.....it's all in God's timing.

curious1,
Thanks for the comment! And welcome to my world. :) Drop by any time!

Joy