Monday, November 27, 2006

Indelible Grace

Much of the rich theology and great poetry of the Church has been "lost" in the day of contemporary worship's "I Can Sing of Your Love Forever" and "Better Is One Day's". Nothing against Matt Redman or Darlene Zschech - both are incredibly talented musicians and vocalists. However, it saddens me when I see that the art of Hymns has been lost in many churches as they revert to the popularity of contemporary worship. I've been attending a PCA (Presbyterian Church of America) church these last four years in Philadelphia, which has reintroduced to me once again the beauty of these immortal classics. My church's worship includes many of these great hymns on a weekly basis and what I appreciate most is how the worship team joins the music of our culture with the words of our forefathers and foremothers, ie. Indelible Grace, which is a voice calling this generation back to something rich and solid beyond the fluff and the trendy. Indelible Grace's music has shown me that thinking and worship are not mutually exclusive and I appreciate how it opens up a world of passion and truth and makes these hymns more than just an archaic curiosity for the religiously sentimental.

Worship is made formative. Here is one of my favorites:

Thy Mercy, My God - John Stocker, 1776

1. Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song,
The joy of my heart. and the boast of my tongue;
Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last,
Hath won my affections, and bound my soul fast.

2. Without Thy sweet mercy I could not live here;
Sin would reduce me to utter despair;
But, through Thy free goodness, my spirits revive,
And He that first made me still keeps me alive.

3. Thy mercy is more than a match for my heart,
Which wonders to feel its own hardness depart;
Dissolved by Thy goodness, I fall to the ground,
And weep to the praise of the mercy I’ve found.

4. Great Father of mercies, Thy goodness I own,
And the covenant love of Thy crucified Son;
All praise to the Spirit, Whose whisper divine
Seals mercy, and pardon, and righteousness mine.
All praise to the Spirit, Whose whisper divine
Seals mercy, and pardon, and righteousness mine.

©2001 Same Old Dress Music (ASCAP).

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A HEARTY "AMEN" sister!

Check out the modern, thoughful hymnology of John Bell of the Iona Community. His work is amazing, deep, thoughtful, and convicting.

And if I were to have a worship crush on anyone, it would be John Bell. You should see him lead a group in singing. It's so sensual! His whole body means what he is singing.

Anonymous said...

used to sing those classic hymns in church back in my school days. i refer to them as the 'conservative' christian music. love them too. i've been attending VCF (victory christian fellowship) here for 10 years already and i love those 'contemporary' christian songs you've mentioned.

you know, you looked asian but i never thought you were a filipina. i'm glad to hear you are. =)

Anonymous said...

I would be careful saying that "the rich theology and great poetry of the Church has been 'lost'" when talking about "Better is One Day". Given that it is taken from Psalm 84 it is difficult to question its theology. Tough to question its poetry too, although what makes poetry great is completely subjective.

Joy said...

anonymous-
you know, i just realized that. my bad.

Anonymous said...

I think there's a place for both as they appeal to different people. The church I went to back home had such a diverse congregation and had found a good balance between the two. It worked for us.

There's a country singer who has recently put an album of old hymn classics out...Alan something. Anyway, I saw a special on it and thought of my Grandma. She was a God fearing woman, a pillar of strength ever there were one. She wouldn't go for the contemporary songs herself but if she thought they were appealing to the younger crowd, I know she'd be all for them.

Dickie Chick said...

There are a lot of Chritian music artists that are taking the old hymms and making them more modern in their music style. We sing a lot of them at my church.

Theresa said...

I really love the music at my church. Sometimes the only reason I get my lazy butt out of bed to go is for the music. After I get to church I discover I'm there for other reasons.
However, those crazy choir-recruiting people will never capture me! I swear, no matter how many homemade blueberry muffins they try to bribe me with, I'm not going to join!!!

Anonymous said...

I found your blog when looking up Indelible Grace and I was reading your"about me" and thought, wow, she seems alot like me. I recently got a golden retreiver and named it Brinkley after the golden on You got Mail. I also have a passion for hymns and the rawness of God's word being revealed through them. Being PCA myself, I am encouraged by your blog and passion for the realness of God. Glad to have found a kindred spirit in Christ.