Wednesday, December 6, 2006

I *Heart* The Weepies - Pt. II


Some of you might recall that I saw The Weepies in concert this past April at the World Cafe Live in Philly's university city. Well, last night I saw them at the World Cafe Live (again) and I was once again thoroughly impressed. The World Cafe Live is a three story venue which features artists from across the spectrum of contemporary music styles on its two stages. Last April The Weepies played on the main level of the World Cafe Live, however it appears that their following has grown since they performed in the lower level of the Cafe which features a bigger stage.

Deb Talen and Steven Tannen seemed so much more at ease this time, more confident. Heck, I would be if I opened for the Indigo Girls for the month of October! Their quirkiness on stage and their chemistry shows how perfectly made these two are for each other. Deb Talen's voice has this ethereal, Karen Carpenterish, sound while Steve Tannen lends his voice to some unique harmony.

So how would I describe The Weepies' sound?

A smile, that's what The Weepies would sound like if smiles made sounds with guitars and voices. They make me want to sit back with a cup of joe in hand, and dip my biscotti, as I immerse myself in The Weepies cute little musical hug.

I sooooooo *HEART* The Weepies.

1 comment:

i used to be me said...

I followed your link to their website and listened. I see why you like them.