Saturday, November 19, 2005

Stupidity or Living on the Edge?

So, I like to live on the edge. This evening I went to see a musical where my co-worker was part of in Abington, PA and as I was on my way home, I discovered that my gas tank was almost empty.......to the point of where the warning light kept popping up every 10 seconds or so. When I discovered my almost empty tank, I still had about another 25 minute drive home to Camden. My usual route home from the Germantown area in Philly takes me through some sketchy, ghetto areas, which then shoots me off into the Schuykill expressway, onto the Ben Franklin Bridge and into Camden, which I would like to add has been dubbed this year as "the most dangerous city in the nation." Abington is a suburb just outside of Philly and I drove by many gas stations on my way out to the express way. But the cheapo that I am, I decide to wait until I get to Jersey to gas up. Listen, if it's going to save you at east .30 cents less per gallon to gas up in Jersey, then you'll WANT to gas up in Jersey. So I'm on the expressway, it's almost midnight, and my gas gauge reveals to me that I REALLY need to gas up or end up stuck on the Schuykill Expressway. Did I happen to stop and gas up? Nope. I decided to risk it and drive straight home into Camden. It's funny though, because I have this tendency to "risk it" quite often on "almost empty" gas tanks. My lackadaisical attitude should be disconcerting, but it's not. If truth be told, I actually get this twisted rush from driving home on an empty gas tank; it's like this challenge that I need to take on.

So let's recapitulate: in order to save .30 cents less to the gallon on gas, I drive on an almost empty gas tank through the ghetto, risk getting stuck in a very busy expressway, and into the most dangerous city in the US. I would like to call it living on the edge. But in actuality, it's called stupidity at its best.

3 comments:

Joy said...

thanks hidden! :)

Jenn said...

heh...I did that same thing one time in Mississippi.

Was driving and was trying my hardest to get to the town where my hotel was in Meridian before having to fill up on gas...so I could start the next day of driving with a full tank. Well...my low gas light started coming on and off...and I still had like 40-50 miles left of my trip! So I started looking for gas stations...and at every exit...there were none! I was like in the middle of NOWHERE Mississippi!

Well...end of story...I got to Meridian okay....filled up and got to my hotel. :) But it was scary for a bit!

Joy said...

LOL! I also had a similar experience a few years ago when an old roomate and I went on a road trip out to Philly. It was sometime around 2AM, we were somewhere in the middle of Chicago and almost out of gas. I was driving at the time and saw a gas station and so took that exit. We ended up in what appeared to be "the hood". Let's just say that I drove out of there pretty fast. ;)