Friday, November 25, 2005

Black Friday Madness, Chinatown, and Poverty

My roommate and I must have been the only individuals in this country who did not partake in the Black Friday madness. Thank the good Lord. Why would I want to get up at 5 AM and stand in line, deal with crowded stores and traffic, only to save a few dollars on a cashmere sweater or MP3 player? It's madness I tell ya. Madness. Nope, not me. This morning I took my sweet ol' time rising from bed and then took the dog out for a walk. These last few days I've been on this baking spree, much to the delight of Irish Girl, and so this morning after my walk with the dog, I decided to bake cranberry-orange scones. And can I say that they were absolutely delish? The scones turned out perfectly! They were the savory, melt in your mouth, type of scones which had you moaning as soon as it hit your palate. It was a proud moment for me.

Earlier this afternoon, Irish Girl and I took a jaunt into the Chinatown in Philly where she bought some wedding gifts for a friend. I suppose that's the closest we got to Black Friday shopping. But I don't think that shopping in Chinatown does not really count as Black Friday shopping because 1) we were shopping for wedding gifts, 2) Chinatown consists mainly of restaurants, old curio shops, and masses of stores filled with hanging ducks, frog aquariums, live crabs and dead fish, and 3) Well, I can't think of a third reason. It was a short excursion and a soon as Irish Girl bought her gifts, we hightailed it back to her vehicle before we froze ourselves into oblivion.

So back at home we had our fill of turkey leftovers and it's trimmings. Somehow turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce seem to taste even better the next day. Well, anyhow, at least it does for me. We rented Christmas with the Cranks but never got around to watching it. I ended up balancing my checkbook. As I type that out, I just realized how I have stooped to the lowest level of patheticness. Why? Well........1) I spent my FRIDAY evening, balancing my check book (now who does that on a Friday night?) and 2) I realized that I am literally living just above the poverty level.

Happy Holidays.

5 comments:

Charlyn said...

Hi Joy! I stumbled upon your blog through your comment at Eddo's Posted Note. I've enjoyed your personality so far, and love that you want a golden retriever. We have one - he is a doll. Check out my blog photos and you'll see.

Also love the post on blogging - it made total sense to me. I love reality shows, and I'm addicted to blogging! The only thing I have to be careful of is that it doesn't pull me away from my fellowship with the Lord or loved ones!

Stop by and say hi some time! :)

Joy said...

Thank for dropping by shenna! :) I'm glad you were able to have a good read here. ;)

Jenn said...

I wasn't out on Black Friday either. Spent the day in a Star Wars marathon. :D And church. :)

Bill said...

It sounds to me that you had a very delightful and restful Friday....I also did not partake in the Friday madness.....that is not for me at all!!!

God is good and I am glad that there are other believers who blog. Thanks for sharing.

Joy said...

Jenn, you are a certifable Star Wars junkie! ;) But hey, that's better than fighting the crowds on any given Black Friday :)

Bill Scott, thanks for dropping by! Come again and visit. And yes, God IS Good! :)