Monday, July 17, 2006

Worlds End

Camping was great but of course it started raining very early Saturday morning and when I woke up, a nice little puddle had formed in our tent. Lovely. For some reason the weather forecast promising us a beautiful weekend did not follow through with it's promise. It rained all morning, off and on, until mid afternoon. Lovely. Nonetheless, we decided not to let the rain get the better of us and went ahead with our plan to hike up the Canyon Vista Trail. Obviously since it rained all morning the trail was incredibly wet and muddy. Some of my hiking mates wore running shoes up the trail, but I, of course packed my sturdy hiking boots. And guess who ended up with dry socks and feet in the end? God bless my hiking boots. But I digress. The hike up was pretty steep in some sections - some parts of the hike made me recall the hike I did all the way up the Grouse Grind in Vancouver (can we say traumatizing?) - however when we arrived up at the top we were rewarded with this:

It was a spectacular view and it made me wonder why I haven't been hiking since last fall. Last September I dragged Irishgirl and PAgirl up the Delaware Gap to do a 5 hour hike on part of the Appalachian trail. On our way down we kind of got lost. Obviously since I'm here writing this post we were able to find our way back down my car. It was kind of a traumatizing experience for us. So at the top of the Canyon Vista Trail we took pictures and made our way down. No we did NOT get lost on the way down.

The rest of the day was spent relaxing by Loyalsock creek, hanging out at the campsite, and eventually concluding they day with a wienie roast. I know what y'all are thinking and y'all better get your minds out of the gutter. :D We were supposed to stay until Sunday afternoon but because of the mini-lakes formed in our tents, we came to the agreement that we really did not want to spend a night in misery in our very wet tents and soaked sleeping bags. Hence, we decided to pack up our vehicles and drive the three hour ride back to Philly that night. Yes we're a bunch of wusses but THIS wuss had an amazing sleep on a DRY bed, with DRY blankets and a DRY pillow on that same night.

4 comments:

Spin_Doc1 said...

I have no room to comment, I stayed in a cabin.

Ranni said...

Wow! What a gorgeous view!

I'd have gone home as well. Puddles in my tent would drive me up a wall, lol.

Anonymous said...

ahem... i'm waiting for you to post those pictures of your trip to ontario.

Joy said...

spinner,
are you also a self-proclaimed wuss? i'll take you on a "real" camping trip sometime. :)

noname,
it was a beautiful view. and it made me want to stay on that mountaintop forever.

anonymous,
reveal yourself please and you may get your wish.