Sunday, April 17, 2005

Sunday

It was a perfect spring day today, the weather was around the 70's, the sky was a perfect blue, the sun was out, the cherry blossom trees in ful bloom and people starting to crawl out of the woodwork! Driving into church this morning there was a myriad of activities taking place in center city Philly, especially around the art museum area. I'd say that spring is definitely in full bloom (pardon the pun ) ;)

During the worship service at church, I was very antsy and distracted. However, it wasn't until a friend of mine whom I was sitting beside pointed out the obvious. I was sitting in the midst of a freakin' nursery! I was surrounded by infants, babies, and toddlers! Over this past year there has been an enormous baby boom at my church and what's even more insane is that I know at least three other women at the same church who are expecting this year. *Sigh* My biological time-clock has been going in overdrive lately and so it's difficult when I'm at church surrounded by young families and babies. Sometimes I wonder if it will ever happen. *Sigh* At times I feel like my worth is measured by my singleness. Yes, it's a silly notion, however there are many times when I feel that this external factor - being single - is a measure of my worth as a person. Why am I still single? Am I not lovable, attractive, intelligent, witty or charming enough? Do I have to be perfect? As I contemplate all these thoughts, I am reminded of the sermon today at church which was based on Galatians 1:10 - 2:10. Our Pastor, Steve, talked about how Paul devestates and exposes two of the false gospels that we all fall for:
  • We are the product of external forces.
  • We determine our fate
Convicting huh? Steve went on to talk about the gospel of Jesus Christ and the fact that our identity is determined by God. So in my case, not in the fact that I'm still single. I was once again reminded in today's sermon that I am more sinful and more wicked and more wretched than I would every admit to anyone else. But because of Christ, I am far more loved, cherished and forgiven than I could ever imagine. So at this point, all I can do is ask God for a transformation of my heart and to embrace the fact that God has already forgiven me, and most importantly, loves and cherishes me more than any individual on the planet, especially that of the male species.

Parental countdown: 4 more days until my parents arrive! I await with great trepidation! ;)

No comments: