Saturday, January 28, 2012

Community

There really is something to be said about "community".  I'm not talking about community in the sense of the neighborhood or area one lives in, but of a group of people walking alongside you during this journey called life.  With that said, I have to say that I am one of the lucky ones.....or maybe I should say, "blessed", as I think of the amazing people in my life.  For the last 9 years I have been attending liberti church  here in Philly.  What started out as a handful of us in the cafeteria of a high school, has exploded into a movement where we are called to be  a worshiping, nurturing, and serving community within Philadelphia and the world.  There are currently three liberti congregations in different parts of Philly and one in Harrisburg.  What a blessing it has been to witness this amazing church's growth in the last 9 years.....but of course, I digress....

I spent the evening last night at an "intimate" gathering with some of my favorite liberti people at some friends' house in south Philly.  The reason for this gathering was two-fold: firstly, Geoff and Susan Bradford, liberti's former pastor and his wife, drove up to Philly from Raleigh, NC, (I wrote a post about them last year); and secondly,  to support, encourage, and grieve with D & R, who just recently lost their precious baby girl.  Oh what a bittersweet evening it was to be with people I love so dearly and to see everyone surround D & R with love and prayers, crying with them and comforting them during this time of grief. 

Even in the midst of sorrow, there was joy and laughter within this amazing group of people.  I soaked up every moment with them, cherishing each individual who were there.  Last night was another strong reminder of what true community means, not only walking alongside each other through the joyous occasions, but also supporting each other during times of sorrow. 

I am often amazed by God's timing and the circumstances that brought me to liberti church.  In all my years of "doing church", this is the first time I've experienced an authentic community of people who are not afraid to show their shit or speak boldly into each others' lives and all the while pointing each other towards Jesus. What a privilege it has been, (and continues) to be part of this community of believers. 

I truly am blessed.  

No comments: