Saturday, March 26, 2011
Wool and Wine
I'm part of a knitting circle. Seriously. And I am outing myself here on my blog.
It started with a conversation this past December with my two friends, Elizabeth and Kim. Elizabeth wanted to learn how to knit, so Kim and I agreed to teach her. We decided to start after the Christmas holiday madness was over. Some how it got around to other friends within our church and thus our knitting circle was born. We meet every second Friday evening, with one of us hosting the group, and well...we knit...we eat chocolate, drink wine, share stories, and we laugh. There is something to be said about a gathering of women within this context. Threading together colorful yarn, crafting scarves, baby blankets, and winter caps, we also weave in our stories and experiences with the group, bringing much laughter and thought, sipping wine and savoring chocolate. There aren't any time lines on the projects we are working on and it doesn't really matter that one person has been knitting the same scarf for the last year or that it took an individual in our group to knit a beautiful baby blanket in two months. I think what really matters to each woman in the group is the sense of camaraderie, an "esprit de corps" as some would put it. It's a feeling of acceptance in its purest form, in the simplicity of a pair of needles and some yarn, coupled with a glass of red wine and delicious chocolate.
Yes, I love to knit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment