Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Sacred in The Ordinary - Part 1

So the last year or so has brought me to a place full of cynicism and apathy. It's somewhat depressing....no, it IS depressing to be so incredibly stoic and full of passivity. It's like I've shifted into some kind of survival mode. Not good. Not good at all. I currently live and work in a world that is harsh and full of demands which robs me of seeing how God works in even the most ordinary of circumstances. I don’t want to just see God in the mountain peak experiences, but I want to see how He brings to life the holiness hidden in the ordinary places of my life: through friends and family, through a walk along Kelly Drive, watching Georgie play at the dog park, through a delicious meal, a hug from a child, etc…I want to see beauty, truth and holiness illuminated through my everyday life and to see the ordinary circumstances as instruments to see God, even through the most frustrating moments. I guess the challenge I am posing for myself is to look at life's simplest circumstances and everyday moments, to find the Sacred in the Ordinary. So in essence, as I discover the Sacred in the Ordinary, I will start posting a list here in my blog with hopes that my heart will change from its cynical and apathetic state into one that is full of hope, joy, and passion. Here goes.....

Sacred In The Ordinary - Part 1

1. Kisses from my dog, Georgie. (Well, more like licks.) An obvious show of affection and unconditional love. Makes me think of God's love.

2. Listening to a foster parent’s life story of the circumstances surrounding his placement in foster care as a child and how he overcame adversity through a community of caring and strong individuals. He is now giving back to the community as a foster parent and an adoptive parent to some very challenging children. What an inspiration!

3. Attending my church home group for the first time since last June and feeling so blessed by the people in the group. I was somewhat nervous coming back to the group after such a long hiatus (From September through January, I did a book study every Monday evenings with a small group of women from church). The discussion was rich and the fellowship sweet.

3. Yummy leftover beef stroganoff, which was made from scratch! Hey, what can I say? Physical sustenance is also part of maintaining one's spiritual well-being! ;)

4. My ghetto-assed Toyota Corolla. As old as this car is and the amount of mileage I've put in it, driving all over Philly, I want to say that God is so good with his provision of this car. I am so thankful for this vehicle and how it continues to keep going and going and going. Kind of the Energizer Bunny. Seriously.

5. The privilege of getting to work with one of my closest friends, Iowagirl. It almost seems so wrong that our agency allows us to work together. Let me describe us in one word: Trouble.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can relate to what you have been experiencing. Somehow I link the "authentic Christian experience" with the "mountain peak" events, not realizing the fine details that in which God shows how effectual His grace is everyday.

In fields of work like ours, all of the crap that we see seems to make the little gold nuggets more difficult to clearly identify. Making a concerted effort to search beneath the muck and mire is, in itself, a form of survival and something I need to do more of. Thanks for this!