Thursday, February 14, 2008

V-Day Rant

I'm being very bad right now and blogging when I'm not supposed to. Over the weekend my laptop decided to go kaput on me and so I haven't been able to do much online at home. Yes I am blogging from work right now however I am justifying it by saying (to myself) that I worked through lunch therefore I am allowed this teensy, weensy, "blog break". (Yeah, keep telling yourself that J!)

It's that time of the year, once again, where we are inundated with the commercialism of Valentine's Day - overpriced flowers, fancy 5 star restaurants, chocolates, jewelry, etc. I am often bemused by this one day that sanctions individuals to declare their "love" to their special someone. Why this one day? It's pretty ridiculous if you ask me. I mean, what is so special about February 14th??? (I could go into the history of "St. Valentine's Day", however I'll spare you all with the details.) Why can't love be declared on any other days of the year? Buy a dozen roses on say, June 26, for your special someone or send a card stating your love for him/her on September 1st. The bottom line is this: everyday should be Valentines Day. Celebrate your partner, celebrate your friendships and family.....heck, even celebrate your pets!

No, I'm not an embittered singleton! In fact, I'm heading out to the store after work to pick up a bottle of my favorite white wine, some chocolates, cheese, and baguettes, to prepare for a celebration of life, love, and friendships.

Happy Valentines Day everyone......everyday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy valentine's day, joy! =D

Jenn said...

I'm a believer in being able to have time to "yourself" at work if you've worked through your lunch time too! ;)


And I think you're exactly right about V-Day. I've also got my own issues...like why every holiday, especially this one, is focused on those with a "special someone." I'm gonna write something on that I think....someday. :)

Hope you're over that virus thing. I'm dealing with it right now. Trying really bad to get rid of the cough part...which is a little better. :)

Spin_Doc1 said...

I actually like V-day, I know I am sorry sorry woman.