Friday, October 5, 2007

Grad School

The last few years has been this relentless see-saw, swinging back and forth between going to graduate school to pursue either an MSW or MA in counseling. A few years ago I was set on starting graduate studies. I was accepted into Fordham University's MSW graduate program in New York City and was set to embark on a short-term career that would involve study, lectures, books, research papers, and exams. Nerd that I am, I was thrilled at the prospect of immersing myself in academia heaven, even if it was only for two years. Well my dream of pursuing an MSW in my favorite city suddenly came to a halt when the reality of tuition fees and living costs hit me. The decision was made and I decided not to go. It was one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make, but yet probably one of the wisest ones I've made. While I unequivocally wanted to pursue this degree, I also had other ulterior motives for moving into NYC. But that's all in the past.

It's funny because over the last few weeks the Graduate School issue has been coming up in various forms, whether it be through conversations with people or through emails. I have this opportunity to have grad school paid for by my place of employment, but of course that comes with conditions. So with that said...should I sell my soul?

3 comments:

Spin_Doc1 said...

I don't see how grad school is selling your soul. I loved it and miss it all the time even though I love my job. It was the best time in my life.

Jenn said...

I'm guessing that maybe having your employment place pay for your tuition may also have things tied on like you have to stay a set number of years there or you have specific schools that you must attend...

Whatever the conditions are I'll keep you in prayers as you make the decision. And I know whatever it is...it'll be the right one!

Dickie Chick said...

Oh Joyce!
I will keep you in my prayers over this. I know the lamenting you have done over this. I pray for wisdom and clear direction. I know He will show you!
Love ya girl! Miss you tons!

shari