Friday, July 20, 2007

What I'm "Required" To Do

I am alive. Really I am.

I know it's been a while since my last post. One would have thought I got lost amidst the battlefields of Gettysburg, but alas I did not. This last week has been relatively busy and I have been somewhat engrossed with work stuff. How exciting is my life. (Note that last comment is just dripping with sarcasm). The heat and humidity out here in the East Coast has been nothing short of unbearable. I really miss the West Coast's beautiful and mild summers....along with its majestic mountains and lush flora. And today is one of those days where I question my decision to settle out here in the East Coast. There are, of course, advantages to going back to the West Coast, the beauty of the area, living the West Coaster's "laid back" lifestyle, and of course my family. And speaking of "family", which is not just exclusive to mom, dad and my crazy brother, this also includes the multitude of aunts, uncles, and even crazier cousins, all of whom I love so dearly. So I ask myself for the upteenth time, "What the heck am I doing out here?" I know the primary reason that attracted me to this place, but it blows my mind when I think about how long I've been here. I was reminded tonight by a good friend why I stay out here, in the midst of a chaotic city which is an oxymoron in and of itself. I live here because it's where God has called me to minister to the hurt and the needy. This is where He has and continues to use my gifts so that He is glorified.

"He has showed you, O man, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy and
to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8

This is where I can put love into action and do what God has "required me to do". This is why I live here.

3 comments:

Amy said...

That verse keeps me going too.

And last night was a beautiful low humidity blessing on the east coast. I've been so grateful that the summer hasn't been worse!

Miss you babe!

Anonymous said...

Come back home so you're closer to the never-ending drama that consumes our clan.

Joy said...

Amy-
Miss you too friend!!!

LJ,
So NOT missing the drama!