Monday, April 2, 2007

Leaving Home

My time here in Vancouver has flown by so quickly and tomorrow morning I fly back to Philly to resume "life". As I look back I'm feeling quite nostalgic as I think about the myriad of whirlwind activities which transpired over the last four days. My brother got married this past Thursday in a very small and intimate ceremony which consisted of immediate family, close relatives, and close friends. We surfed and turfed it at The Keg after the wedding ceremony and I must say that I could probably live on lobster for the rest of my life. I love the stuff. My cousin, Khaygirl, got married yesterday in this quaint, little chapel in Richmond, topped with wedding bells and all. Yet again, it was another time of sating our palates with good food and making much merriment with drinks. And yes, I was quite "merry". ;)

Apart from the weddings, much time was spent with the parents, the multitude of aunts, uncles, cousins, and close friends. An old childhood friend, JanGirl, whom I have not seen in three years, flew up from San Francisco to attend the wedding. I was able to spend quite a bit of time with JanGirl during this visit and so it was great to catch up on our respective lives and reminisce about "back in the day". This morning I got together with BFF for an early breakfast before heading out to church. BFF was in the East Coast about two weeks ago visiting her sister who lives in Northern VA, however we spent very little time together while she was out there. During breakfast we had quite the stimulating conversation which centered around hemorrhoids. Don't ask.

I have to say, this was one of the most enjoyable visits back home to date, which probably explains the nostalgic feelings. Makes me wonder what I'm doing out in the East Coast. However, when I do think about it, I am fairly certain that for this season of my life the East Coast is where I am supposed to be. It's where I know that God is utilizing my gifts to serve and minister to those in need. It's where I have this sense of fulfillment and wholeness which results from the many friendships and this incredible job that I have. It's where I can proudly say I came to my "own". And for now, it is where I call home.

3 comments:

Spin_Doc1 said...

It is nice to see you writing again.

Amy said...

Glad your trip was so nice. :)

Joy said...

Spinner-
Thanks girl! The creative juices haven't been flowing as much the last few months or so. I'm thinking that I need to write again. :)

Amy-
Trip was awesome. Arrived back last night but the downer was that my luggage ended up on a different flight. So frustrating. Anyway, I'm working from home today as the airport will be delivering my luggage sometime this afternoon.