Sunday, August 21, 2005

Northern Irish Idiosyncrasies

So my friend Jonny is a seminarian currently matriculating at a Presbyterian Seminary, just outside of Philly. I believe he's studying for his M. Div. and he is presently working in full-time urban youth ministry. He is a really good guy. So all summer, he's been preaching at a church in Queens, NY and has been commuting into NYC every Sunday. My roommate and I decided to tag along with Jonny and his wife today up to NY. As usual, it was of course another one of my many adventures with my European friends. You see, Jonny, his wife and my roommate all hail from Northern Ireland. Need I say more? We've all seen and heard about crude European humor, correct? Well, let me tell you about Northern Irish humor........it's about as un-PC as you could get! So let's picture this: three Northern Irish peoples and a Filipina-Canadian girl. Need I say more??? Jonny and my roommate have no shame in making the most un-PC comments about Asian people in front of me. Reason being is because they get a kick out of seeing me all riled up. All I can do is shake my head, stating "Y'all are just sick and wrong......sick and wrong." But do you know what's crazy? They can actually get away with these un-PC comments with me. However, what's even crazier, is that this church Jonny has preaching at is also an Asian church. Although mind you, he has enough sense to keep his off-color jokes (no pun intended) out of his sermons. Regardless of my European friends' un-PC ways, I must say that they are true friends and I would not trade them for the world.

No comments: