It's been a while since I've posted my ongoing "Sacred In The Ordinary", so here you go.....
1. My anxiety levels have shot up in the last few weeks and rightly so because it's that time of the year where I face the unknown once again. Will I stay or will I go? My work visa expires at the end of the month and so I will be once again trekking up to Niagara Falls to renew my Trade NAFTA (TN) visa at the border. This particular visa is good for only one year, hence, my yearly road trips up north. And of course each time I go renew it, I run the risk of getting a big fat NO from the Trade NAFTA Specialist at the border because the TN is only supposed to be a temporary visa.
I've been getting this visa for the last 6-7 years.
In my head I know that God is in control of the situation, however it's not resonating in my heart. I need to rest...I need to trust...I need to surrender.
"Simply trusting Thee, Lord Jesus,
I behold Thee as Thou art,
And Thy love, so pure, so changeless,
Satisfies my heart;
Satisfies its deepest longings,
Meets, supplies its every need,
Compasseth me round with blessings
Thine is love indeed!" - Jean S. Pigott, 1876
2. Last night I got together with my friend Bethany who lives around the corner from me and also goes to my church. She is in the process of raising support to work as a long-term missionary in Mundri, Sudan. Bethany has lived in Africa, teaching in Uganda, leading interns through her job at World Harvest , while traveling back and forth from the US, preparing for the work that God is calling her to do there. What incredible grace that God has given this dear friend of mine as she moves forward in obedience to minister to the people of this war-ravaged county. It was so encouraging to hear Bethany's heart and her passion to work with the women and children who have suffered much trauma and loss in this country. It's also given me a fresh perspective of my own life here in North America, where I tend to get caught up in "stuff", complaining about not having enough "stuff", worrying about finances, arguing over petty grievances with family members, etc...and the list could go on and on. "For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul?" (Matt 16:26)
In looking at the bigger picture, attaining material goods or status is useless because it offers no certainties, not permanent security, or no lasting inheritance. Only Jesus can.
3. This will probably be mentioned quite a bit during the summer months, but I have to say that I am starting to have this love affair with Philly Flavors, which boasts the best of Philly's Italian Ice. And I concur! Move over Rita's Water Ice.......Philly Flavors, here I come! They also serve ice cream sundaes, soft ice cream, milk shakes, yogurt ice cream...the works!
4. Philly Flavors is about a good 15-20 minute walk from my place and so with Georgie in tow, Bethany and I walked over to Julie's place to pick her up for a water ice/ice cream run last night. Walking down Fairmount Avenue with my sweet friends gave me this sense of joy that can only come from Jesus. What precious gifts these women as they offer their friendships and share their lives with me. I am so thankful for them.
5. Friday nights when I can sit in front of the television in a vegetative state after a very long week. Sounds a bit loserish, but I really don't care. In fact, I was so excited to just be able to tune out life for a few hours and immerse myself in something totally unrelated to child welfare.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I love this blog. I love reading about your thoughts and daily activities. I also love that we both cherish walks to Philly Flavors with friends, and vegetative states in front of the TV on Friday night. Loserish my butt. We're praying for your trek to NF.
I will be praying for you my dear friend as you head over to Niagra to convince them that you really are a fabulous person who is a big asset to their country! ;o) Truly you are in the Lord's hands and he will guide and direct your every step. Love to you!
Post a Comment