Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Shoe Whore

I often wonder why I subject myself to sheer torture, not once, but twice. Allow me to share about my day yesterday.

It was a beautiful day in Philly and since I had a court hearing that morning I figured that I better look like a professional instead of looking like a college student who is still purchasing their apparel from the local Goodwill Thrift Store. Now don't get the wrong idea here. I think secondhand shops are great, especially for those yearly Halloween Costumes and for those great finds such as a pair of vintage jeans......but I digress. Somehow I managed to once again veer off -topic. There is a point to this entry. So I decide to dress a little bit more "professional" than my usual "college student wannabee look" and so I donned a nice white button up three quarter length blouse and a grey mid-length A-line skirt. To top off my "professional" look, I decided to try and look cute and slip on a pair of Anne Klein 2.5 inch mules. I felt so grown up. Since the courthouse is about a 15 minute walk away from our downtown office, I decided to park at the office parking lot and walk. The weather was nothing short of wonderful - blue skies and not a cloud in view. Of course because of the beautiful weather one would think that my walk to the courthouse yesterday morning could be described as pleasant, right? WRONG! About half-way to the courthouse my feet started to feel uncomfortable and oddly enough, and I kid you not, it appeared as though my feet decided to expand on their own volition. By the time I arrived at the courthouse, my feet were in so much pain that I was tempted to hobble down to Hahnemann University Hospital which is about a block from the court house and beg the doctors to amputate both feet in order to relieve me from the excruciating pain that I was experiencing. Fortunately, since my supervisor was also at the same court hearing and parked in the parking lot next to the courthouse. She took pity on me and kindly drove me back to the office once the court hearing was over. When I finally took off my heels after I arrived home last night, I could have sworn that I heard my feet breath a sigh of relief. The blisters that formed on my feet would have made a marathoner proud.

But wait. My shoe saga doesn't end there. Today I decided that I wanted to look cute again and so once again I donned another pair of heels - these ones are about 3 inches tall. These heels are my "sit and look cute" heels. I assumed that I would be in the office for most of the day and so I figured that my feet would be safe. Well, after the training I attended this morning, a group of us decided to walk over to the nearest Subway for lunch from our office. I figured that my feet would be okay walking on these particular heels because I surmised that it would only be about a five minute walk from the office. Wrong. It was a fifteen minute walk.

I am a glutton for punishment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eh?... problems walking 15 mins?... *rolls eyes*

Joy said...

C'mon now.....you love it kanga-droob! :P

Joy said...

yeah, somewhere between the shoes and court hearings all thoughts of blogging flew from my mind. ;)